Bird watchers and nature lovers are invited to flock to the Top End for the spectacular Kakadu Bird Week this October.
Whether it's graceful sea eagles on Yellow Water Billabong, the "Jesus bird" seeming to walk on water or local favourites such as the jabiru or kingfisher, Kakadu is one of Australia’s most spectacular locations for bird lovers.
And it'll host a major gathering of bird watchers and nature lovers for the annual Kakadu Bird Week from October 1-7, with special birding activities, events and a new photographic competition.
The region is home to more than one-third of Australia’s bird species and October is the peak time to see them in their full diversity.
A prime vantage point to view the spectacle is Yellow Water Billabong, at Cooinda, with Yellow Water Cruises and Kakadu Tourism offering visitors opportunities to get close to the bird life during the week.
Yellow Water Cruises will offer a series of sunrise cruises hosted by Luke "Hawk Eyes" Paterson, a naturalist from NT Bird Specialists.
There will also be plenty of free activities and presentations during the week, with experts hosting talks and slideshows at Kakadu National Park’s Bowali Visitor Centre and at the Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel and Cooinda Lodge.
Kids can get along to the World of Birds for Kids, designed for junior twitchers.
- A draft program of activities and presentations is available at parksaustralia.gov.au.
- Yellow Water Cruises will host three-hour cruises on Yellow Water Billabong on October 1, 4 and 7. The cruise costs $120 per person, including transfers and breakfast. Seats are limited. Book at kakadutourism.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accommodation is limited, with options available at kakadutourism.com/accommodation.
- Cooinda Lodge (08 8979 1500) and Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel (08 8979 9000) are offering 15 per cent off during the week for guests quoting “Kakadu Bird Week” when booking.
- For more details visit kakadutourism.com or phone1800 500 401.
You may also like
TRAVEL GUIDE Ski Year: Skiing all the year round
Planning the perfect family winter holiday or your first ski or snowboarding trip but don't know where to start? Look no further.
Travel Story: Whale Sharks arrive early to Ningaloo Reef
The 2019 Whale Shark touring season gets off to a flying start.
Our World: Wartime memories all around WA
The State’s regions have long been part of military action and harbour many reminders.