Local food, local flavour — and throughout Asia, tastes vary. Asia is a cultural buffet, and through its cuisine, we get a spicy insight into what makes a place tick.
My top 10 tastes of Asia are:
- Satay. From Vietnam to Singapore, Thailand to Malaysia.
- Sushi. Originally Japan but now worldwide.
- Chicken curry. From the masala of India to the lighter flavours of coconut, saffron and ginger.
- Tom yum. Originally from Thailand.
- Nasi goreng. Asian staple rice, fried.
- Dim sum. Derived from a Cantonese phrase meaning "a little token", it originated in China, but is now everywhere from the Philippines to Vietnam, Laos or Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Spring rolls. The most popular ingredients are minced pork, carrot, bean sprouts, fresh garlic chives, vermicelli noodles and shitake mushrooms.
- Hainanese chicken rice. Poached chicken served with white rice, mainly eaten in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and China.
- Laksa. Spicy noodle soup said to be invented by Singaporeans.
- Fish balls. Right across the region.
You may also like
Arrivals & Departures: Low-cost Vietnam options in AirAsia’s sights
AirAsia is determined to introduce cheaper domestic travel options in Vietnam.
The Travel Club Show : Advice for choosing the right India tour
Our Travel Editor is back from his West Travel Club tour of India and shares some words of wisdom on how to select a tour that suits your needs.
Travel Story: Express ride to heart of Hogwarts’ fun
Going to a theme park can be the most exciting part of a holiday but it can also be the most stressful. The best thing you can do is be organised and realistic about long delays and queues.