Local food, local flavour — and throughout Asia, tastes vary. Asia is a cultural buffet, and through its cuisine, we get a spicy insight into what makes a place tick.
My top 10 tastes of Asia are:
- Satay. From Vietnam to Singapore, Thailand to Malaysia.
- Sushi. Originally Japan but now worldwide.
- Chicken curry. From the masala of India to the lighter flavours of coconut, saffron and ginger.
- Tom yum. Originally from Thailand.
- Nasi goreng. Asian staple rice, fried.
- Dim sum. Derived from a Cantonese phrase meaning "a little token", it originated in China, but is now everywhere from the Philippines to Vietnam, Laos or Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Spring rolls. The most popular ingredients are minced pork, carrot, bean sprouts, fresh garlic chives, vermicelli noodles and shitake mushrooms.
- Hainanese chicken rice. Poached chicken served with white rice, mainly eaten in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and China.
- Laksa. Spicy noodle soup said to be invented by Singaporeans.
- Fish balls. Right across the region.
You may also like
Arrivals & Departures: In the footsteps of feudal lords
If you've a yen for yesteryear, this extended walk through beautiful rural Japan promises to be a real treat.
The Travel Club Show : Scenic's success story
Scenic's story is 30 years in the making - from coach tours along the east coast of Australia, to New Zealand, Canada and Alaska, and Europe.
Our World: Thai-Burma railway pilgrims on journey of remembrance
A Perth family follow in the footsteps of their prisoner-of-war father.