Local food, local flavour — and throughout Asia, tastes vary. Asia is a cultural buffet, and through its cuisine, we get a spicy insight into what makes a place tick.
My top 10 tastes of Asia are:
- Satay. From Vietnam to Singapore, Thailand to Malaysia.
- Sushi. Originally Japan but now worldwide.
- Chicken curry. From the masala of India to the lighter flavours of coconut, saffron and ginger.
- Tom yum. Originally from Thailand.
- Nasi goreng. Asian staple rice, fried.
- Dim sum. Derived from a Cantonese phrase meaning "a little token", it originated in China, but is now everywhere from the Philippines to Vietnam, Laos or Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Spring rolls. The most popular ingredients are minced pork, carrot, bean sprouts, fresh garlic chives, vermicelli noodles and shitake mushrooms.
- Hainanese chicken rice. Poached chicken served with white rice, mainly eaten in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and China.
- Laksa. Spicy noodle soup said to be invented by Singaporeans.
- Fish balls. Right across the region.
You may also like
On the Road Video: Round the World Dinner - Great Rivers
The spoken word, a specially written score and fine food and wine came together in perfect harmony during our latest Round the World Dinner - here's a taste of this celebration of literature, music and cuisine.
Arrivals & Departures: Bali: New wellness resort set to 'raise the bar' for luxury retreats
Customised organic meals, a "yoga barn" and programs for mothers to be all feature at Revivo, Bali's newest wellness resort.
Travel Story: Dream ride to Singapore
Singapore Airlines will use the new Dreamliner 787-10 on one of its daily flights to Perth.