Sometimes one of the most pleasant ways to explore another country is to get away from the top tourism spots and reach the heart of a culture.
Switzerland Tourism has introduced a concept that enables visitors to do just that after a survey revealed that a quarter of the country’s 21,000 overnight visitors from 130 nations wanted “hidden” places.
Eleven pop-up hotels will aim to provide travellers with new experiences from “different and surprising” perspectives.
The concept will encourage guests to see “almost untouched, and sometimes unknown”, tourist paths.
“While various locations were hand-picked for this program, selected hoteliers have been contracted to furbish and service the rooms; ensuring guests the promise of high-quality Swiss hospitality,” the tourism body says.
“Full of character, history and countless tales, travellers should note that these pop-up hotels will only run for the three-month summer period ending August.”
The rooms are priced from $200 per night.
Switzerland Tourism has created a list of the pop-up hotels:
- The City Tower in Baden (serviced by Trafo Hotel)
- A fishing cabin at Fischergalgen in Basel (serviced by the Youth Hostel Basel)
- The UNESCO World Heritage Site of Torre Nera Castelgrande in Bellinzona, (serviced by Hotel & SPA Internazionale)
- The Old Customs House in Bern (serviced by Altes Tramdepot)
- In the hotel garden of the Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne (serviced by the hotel)
- A private boathouse in Lucerne (serviced by Seehotel Kastanienbaum)
- A floating hotel in Schaffhausen (serviced by MS Konstanz)
- The 14th century fortified tower of Krummturm in Solothurn (serviced by Hotel on the Aare)
- The tower room in St Gallen (serviced by Einstein St Gallen)
- An old ballroom in Vevey (serviced by Astra Hotel)
- The trendy restaurant of Milchbar in Zurich (serviced by Milchbar/Peclard)
Federal Statistical Office of Switzerland research has shown that urban tourism in the country has boomed, with a 50 per cent increase in major cities since 2000.
Singapore Airlines is offering Perth to Zurich economy round trips from $1064. The deal lasts until July 10 with departures between October 8 and November 30 or January 20 and March 31.
- For details visit MySwitzerland.com/popup and singaporeair.com.
- Check out the full photo gallery
You may also like
Travel Story: Beauty spans the ages in marble and paint
Here, I share my reverence for the famed Venus de Milo, circa 150BC.
Our World: Wintry Paris a feast for the senses
Lose yourself in the sights and sounds of the bustling city in the cooler months
The Travel Club Show : Cruise with the Vikings
Viking’s motto is that travel should be more than just a trip — it should be about cultural insight and personal enrichment. Learn about Viking's new value-added offerings helping discerning travellers achieve just that.